• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play 3 NT

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-13, 20:21

Team Match, I dunno what 3 meant in their bidding but doesnt matter.

Lead is Q, whats your plan ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-13, 21:30

1. A
2. A
3. Q
4. K
5. finesse J
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-13, 21:34

Seems like we mostly need South not to have HJ9x of spades and switch to a top spade.

A possible line is to take the Q at face value, win the K, finesse hearts, and play clubs from the top, hoping for 3 hearts, 1 diamond and 5 clubs.

Another possibility is to win the A in dummy, cash the A, and play the Q (to keep an entry in dummy), hoping for 2 hearts, 2 diamonds and 5 clubs. If the Q wins, cross to the K, cash the diamond, and guess the clubs (Kxx opposite xx, or xxx opposite Kx - I think Brad Moss ducked a doubleton King in a similar position against Weinstein-Levin a while ago - and got it dropped!). North likely has a spade honor though, and ducking from Kx is hard, so playing South for Kxx is normal here.

Not cashing the A in line 2 - win A then play clubs from the top - means you don't need to worry about entries to dummy or 4-1 clubs, and makes when South has the J, but it doesn't work when South led from Qx (unless it is Q9) because he gets out a heart while the diamonds are blocked.

First line needs the heart lead to be from QJ, the second line needs South not to have Kxxx clubs.
I find it difficult to choose between two lowish percentage alternatives, that South led Q without the Jack (play line 2) or that South has Kxxx clubs, opened 1 (4+), led a heart from QJ(x), and North didn't bid 1 (play line 1).
I think both lines will usually work. Maybe on the auction South might be likely to try an unusual heart lead, so playing line 2 and making unless South also has Kxxx club (or North does very well with Kx of clubs) is best.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-13, 22:54

View Post655321, on 2011-January-13, 21:34, said:

Not cashing the A in line 2 - win A then play clubs from the top - means you don't need to worry about entries to dummy or 4-1 clubs, and makes when South has the J, but it doesn't work when South led from Qx (unless it is Q9) because he gets out a heart while the diamonds are blocked.

How will this work ? if N takes K and play a ? Or if South wins K and after 2 rounds of N turns a ? If u duck u give 3+1+1, if u dont duck u have no entry for K
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-13, 23:02

View PostMrAce, on 2011-January-13, 22:54, said:

View Post655321, on 2011-January-13, 21:34, said:

How will this work ? if N takes K and play a ? Or if South wins K and after 2 rounds of N turns a ? If u duck u give 3+1+1, if u dont duck u have no entry for K

It doesn't work, I had hoped it was clearer that that paragraph was just a thought, part of a discussion, not one of my main two lines. Anyway, as I said I think it likely North has a top Spade and therefore not the K, so the first objection you mention wasn't so important.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#6 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-13, 23:07

K

A

Q

if South has Kx of clubs and AJ9x spades I screwed up, but at least he has to choose which K his partner has

If you'd rather cater to this holding pooltuna's line looks optimal
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#7 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-13, 23:51

View Postrduran1216, on 2011-January-13, 23:07, said:

if South has Kx of clubs and AJ9x spades I screwed up, but at least he has to choose which K his partner has

If you'd rather cater to this holding pooltuna's line looks optimal

If they can cash 4 spade tricks they can do it after either line.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-14, 00:15

View Post655321, on 2011-January-13, 23:02, said:

It doesn't work, I had hoped it was clearer that that paragraph was just a thought, part of a discussion, not one of my main two lines. Anyway, as I said I think it likely North has a top Spade and therefore not the K, so the first objection you mention wasn't so important.

Ok, i thought u were saying that it works when South has J , which it still doesn't. No need for a Qx lead for this line to fail.

#9 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 00:18

View Post655321, on 2011-January-13, 23:51, said:

If they can cash 4 spade tricks they can do it after either line.

2 hearts 1 diamonds and 6 clubs if Kx is with south make 9
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#10 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 00:26

View Postrduran1216, on 2011-January-14, 00:18, said:

2 hearts 1 diamonds and 6 clubs if Kx is with south make 9

No, read pooltuna's post again.

#11 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 00:32

View Post655321, on 2011-January-14, 00:26, said:

No, read pooltuna's post again.

oh, well either the defense is getting 4 spades or not

If you think they are, play S for Kx clubs as thats ur only hope

If not, hook the heart and DONT unblock diamonds before cashing A of clubs and then Q
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#12 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 06:41

A A A CQ.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 11:15

It seems very unlikely to me that Q is from Qx. I can't imagine any hand for South where that lead looks sensible.

If South has three hearts, he can't have both the guarded club king and four spades. I'd start by winning in hand and taking a club finesse. If that works, cash A (king not dropping), A, club. If South started with three clubs, he has to give me my ninth trick one way or another. If South was something like 2344 and exits with his last club (either before or after cashing two spades), I may be able to endplay him.

If North has K, I still have the chance that South is 2452 and endplayable.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users