• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Euro Open Teams Regulations Q Euro Open Teams format

#1 User is offline   James_H 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-June-08, 14:29

Hi All,

A few years ago the format of the open euro teams changed from round robin to prelim RR and final RR.

Can anyone point me to a link where the reason is explained or if not, explain why it happened.

Thanks, James.

#2 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-08, 14:56

The reason is quite simple. From year to year the number of participants grew up, to 39....this time.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#3 User is offline   PeterE 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-June-08, 22:49

... which is not the real problem.
The main problem with so many teams exists for the weaker teams from the smaller NBOs. They had to stay with nothing to win and the accommodation costs were very (too) high for them.
Nowadays they "only" have to pay for one week and can go home then, if they do not finish within the upper half of their group.

#4 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-June-09, 02:26

While I agree that one reason for the new format , is to make the championship a little shorter , another reason was that the top places are to be decided by direct matches between the better teams rather than by the margin of their victories against the weaker teams.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-June-09, 03:21

mich-b, on Jun 9 2010, 09:26 AM, said:

While I agree that one reason for the new format , is to make the championship a little shorter , another reason was that the top places are to be decided by direct matches between the better teams rather than by the margin of their victories against the weaker teams.

The overall standard of the Europeans has risen immensely over the last few years and there are very few weak teams playing nowadays.

However the non-professional teams, typically from the smaller NBOs, do tend to tire a lot more during the championships. So there would be a big advantage in playing these teams near the end of the event if it was just, say, a full round robin.

Which is effectively what mich-b said, but perhaps with a slightly different emphasis.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users