• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What exactly is the ACBL?

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-March-14, 13:13

Found this in the minutes of the ACBLLC meeting last November 29th:

Jeff Polisner was of the opinion that members (i.e. country federations) of the WBF are required to follow the WBF version of the Laws, but that organizations like the ACBL which is not a member may differ.  

Gary Blaiss agreed with Polisner.  The ACBL Laws Commission is responsible for the set of Laws used by the ACBL.  He also noted that in the past there was cooperation between essentially the ACBL and WBF to agree on a uniform set of Laws.  This set of laws does not follow that paradigm, and Blaiss would like to see a return to the previous situation of cooperation between the ACBL and WBF to draft the Laws of Duplicate Bridge.

The ACBL is not a member, true. But it is a Zonal Authority, and my read of the WBF Constitution and By-Laws indicates that because the ACBL is a ZA, it is subject to the jurisdiction of the WBF, and cannot run off and make its own laws. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. If so, hopefully someone can show me why, other than the question of who has the power. I have never understood the ACBL's insistence on having the final say on the Laws in North America, other than from a standpoint of "We have power, and we ain't giving it up!" :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-14, 16:52

blackshoe, on Mar 14 2010, 07:13 PM, said:

I have never understood the ACBL's insistence on having the final say on the Laws in North America, other than from a standpoint of "We have power, and we ain't giving it up!" :blink:

Well, one would suppose so. Issues of sovereignty can be quite emotive.

Having said that, should such power actually be exercised, one might wonder if the rest of the world would care to see the ACBL as being a relevant body anymore given that they'd be playing a different game.

Indeed one would wonder what the national bodies would do too?!

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-20, 09:59

The ACBL already exercises its power to change the laws as it sees fit. Doesn't seem to have bothered anyone elsewhere. As for the North American NBOs, none of them seem to have objected either, afaik.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-20, 13:43

Well, if you North Americans wish to play a game very similar to bridge, then why should we in the rest of the world object?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users