• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Insufficient Bid

#21 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-July-20, 18:37

jdonn, on Jul 20 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

I don't see how I misunderstood the dictionary, it seems quite clear to me and even now I can't really see how it could be understood the other way.

The phrase you quoted was the explanation for the noun "subsitute".
I change my vote though to "both exist" and "jdonn is right in this specific use in law 27B4".
However, in the context that REALLY matters, i.e. football (the one with a ball not the one with a banana), there is clearly a "substitute" = new player, and a "substituted player" = the one who had to come off the field.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#22 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2009-July-20, 19:41

jdonn, on Jul 21 2009, 01:26 AM, said:

I don't see how I misunderstood the dictionary, it seems quite clear to me and even now I can't really see how it could be understood the other way.

I read the reference given and it does not seem to tell me anything about "substituted" [sic] used as an adjective.

Also regarding the law itself, it wouldn't make sense for substituted to refer to the first bid since if the first bid had been accepted there would be no second bid, and we wouldn't be here reading law 27B4.

Not everyone likes to pre-empt the TD. If my RHO makes in insufficient bid, and changes it to another insufficient bid, I do not accept anything: I call the TD and let him tell me what I can accept.

Nonetheless, as you surely feel the same about the opposite viewpoint, this just goes to show how difficult it really is to write clear laws.

Oh, sure, it is another unclear Law.

helene_t, on Jul 21 2009, 01:20 AM, said:

Although this is not a definitive answer of course, I think it does suggest that "the player substituted a new bid for the original one" would be in line with a more common usage than "the player substituted the original bid with a new one".

But that is using "substituted" as a verb: the Law uses it as an adjective, does it not?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#23 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2009-July-21, 01:35

cherdanno, on Jul 21 2009, 01:37 AM, said:

jdonn, on Jul 20 2009, 07:26 PM, said:

The phrase you quoted was the explanation for the noun "subsitute".
I change my vote though to "both exist" and "jdonn is right in this specific use in law 27B4".
However, in the context that REALLY matters, i.e. football (the one with a ball not the one with a banana), there is clearly a "substitute" = new player, and a "substituted player" = the one who had to come off the field.

Agree with this: Josh's version looks right to me in this context, but I think in general it could be either.

#24 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-21, 01:41

bluejak, on Jul 20 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

Also regarding the law itself, it wouldn't make sense for substituted to refer to the first bid since if the first bid had been accepted there would be no second bid, and we wouldn't be here reading law 27B4.

Not everyone likes to pre-empt the TD. If my RHO makes in insufficient bid, and changes it to another insufficient bid, I do not accept anything: I call the TD and let him tell me what I can accept.

I don't get it, why didn't you call after the first one?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#25 User is offline   Sven Pran 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-July-21, 02:17

Law 27B4: if the offender attempts to replace the one insufficient bid with another insufficient bid the Director rules as in 3 if the LHO does not accept the substituted insufficient bid as A allows

In the Norwegian translation we have assumed this to mean:

if the offender attempts to replace the one insufficient bid with another insufficient bid the Director rules as in 3 if the LHO does not accept the last insufficient bid as A allows

We felt confident that this was the real intention of law27B4.

Law 27B4 never applies unless LHO has already refused to accept the first insufficient bid, therefore (implicitly) referring to the first insufficient bid in Law 27B4 makes no sense.

regards Sven

#26 User is offline   suprgrover 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-21, 06:10

Sven Pran, on Jul 21 2009, 03:17 AM, said:

Law 27B4: if the offender attempts to replace the one insufficient bid with another insufficient bid the Director rules as in 3 if the LHO does not accept the substituted insufficient bid as A allows

In the Norwegian translation we have assumed this to mean:

if the offender attempts to replace the one insufficient bid with another insufficient bid the Director rules as in 3 if the LHO does not accept the last insufficient bid as A allows

We felt confident that this was the real intention of law27B4.

I don't see how this makes any sense. The reference to "as A allows" means that LHO has always had the opportunity to accept the first insufficient bid. And "as in 3" means that the second insufficient bid is treated like a correction to a double or redouble.

I have always assumed that the point of 27B4 is to adjudicate the following: N: 1 E: 4 S: 2

W: Did you say 2?
S: Yes. But I'm changing it to 3.
W: Director! I wanted to accept 2.

27B4 gives, I think, West the chance to accept the 2 bid but not the 3 bid.

#27 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-21, 06:22

The word "substituted" is used as an adjective referring to calls or bids on several other occasions in the law book (eg L17D2, L27B1a) and on each occasion it is perfectly clear that the substituted call is not the original call.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#28 User is offline   Sven Pran 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-21, 08:51

suprgrover, on Jul 21 2009, 02:10 PM, said:

I have always assumed that the point of 27B4 is to adjudicate the following: N: 1 E: 4 S: 2

W: Did you say 2?
S: Yes.  But I'm changing it to 3.
W: Director!  I wanted to accept 2.

27B4 gives, I think, West the chance to accept the 2 bid but not the 3 bid.

This is (in sequence) a case for Law 27 that immediately becomes a case for Law 27C when S says he wants to change his IB to 3.

Under Law 27C The Director must proceed as follows:

(To West): Do you accept the IB of 2?
If West answers "yes" then end of story, so we assume that he answers "no"
(To South): Your premature correction to 3 stands, but as this bid is (also) an insufficient bid I shall go back first to 27B4 which directs me to 27A and ask:
(To West): Do you accept the IB of 3?
Again: If West answers "yes" then end of story, so we assume that he answers "no"
(To South): This brings me to Law 27B3 and you must substitute a legal bid or PASS, and your partner must PASS during the remainder of this auction. Also Laws 26 and 23 can become applicable.

regards Sven

#29 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-21, 09:23

jdonn, on Jul 21 2009, 08:41 AM, said:

bluejak, on Jul 20 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

I don't get it, why didn't you call after the first one?

There wasn't time? Sometimes players realise a bid is insufficient and do something completely stupid before anyone else can do anything.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#30 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-21, 09:26

gordontd, on Jul 21 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

The word "substituted" is used as an adjective referring to calls or bids on several other occasions in the law book (eg L17D2, L27B1a) and on each occasion it is perfectly clear that the substituted call is not the original call.

That is a convincing argument: none of the others are. But it shows how badly written the Law is. If the only way to interpret a Law is to look at completely different laws to find out how the WBFLC interprets a word ... :rolleyes:
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#31 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-July-21, 10:24

bluejak, on Jul 21 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

That is a convincing argument: none of the others are. But it shows how badly written the Law is. If the only way to interpret a Law is to look at completely different laws to find out how the WBFLC interprets a word ... :rolleyes:

Actually, that's a common process in many forms of jurisprudence. Human languages are inherently ambiguous, and quite often the way to determine intent in lawbooks is to look for analogous uses and assume consistency.

Another way is for the lawmakers to publish the discussions that led to adoption of a law, or a supplementary rationale.

#32 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-July-21, 11:53

barmar, on Jul 21 2009, 11:24 AM, said:

bluejak, on Jul 21 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

That is a convincing argument: none of the others are. But it shows how badly written the Law is. If the only way to interpret a Law is to look at completely different laws to find out how the WBFLC interprets a word ... :angry:

Actually, that's a common process in many forms of jurisprudence. Human languages are inherently ambiguous, and quite often the way to determine intent in lawbooks is to look for analogous uses and assume consistency.

Another way is for the lawmakers to publish the discussions that led to adoption of a law, or a supplementary rationale.

Expressio unius est exclusio alterius.

Sorry, you were giving me Legislation and Statutory Interpretation flashbacks.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#33 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-July-26, 13:08

Just for laughs, I submitted that to a web translator. It came back with "expressio one is to shut out the second". wtf? :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#34 User is offline   Grazy69 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-July-27, 14:19

The conversation should go like this assuming the TD is at the table when the 1D bid is still on the table. If not the offender would be asked to put the 1D bid back on the table.

TD to offenders LHO “ Do you accept the 1D bid”, and before LHO answers the TD read out laws B1(a) and B1(b)to the table explaining all options.

TD to LHO “Do you accept the 1D bid” Answer “No”( already known )
Offender then bids 2D

TD says to LHO “Do you accept the bid of 2D” and before LHO answers TD now reads Law 27B4 to the table explaining all options

TD says to LHO “Do you accept the 2D bid ( As Law27A allows )

If LHO says “yes” bidding continues as normal
If LHO says “no” offender can bid what he likes (but not X or XX Law 27 B4) and offender’s partner must pass throughout.
Lead penalties may apply (Law 26) if the offending side becomes defenders.
And Law 23 is checked.

TD to table on leaving “If not happy you may appeal” Law 92

#35 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-27, 17:07

I hope and trust that the above was meant as a joke and that people will not take it seriously. You do not read Laws out in full when they will confuse people: you never give any players any choices until they have heard all the choices and what their effects are. I am afraid quite a few TDs forget Law 9D2.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#36 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-July-27, 17:23

Don't you mean 9B2, David?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#37 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-28, 05:54

I certainly do. :(

I was merely testing to see whether anyone was reading this. :)
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#38 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-28, 16:15

Clubs are not required to have appeals committees, so 92D doesn't always apply.
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

#39 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2009-July-28, 17:21

I think you've misread us, Joanne. David and I are discussing law nine, not law ninety two. In particular, Law 9B2:

no player shall take any action until the director has explained all matters in regard to rectification.

As to appeals committees, the laws do not require such at all. Law 80B2{k} requires the Tournament Organizer (a club, for example) to "make suitable arrangements for the conduct of appeals under Law 93". Law 92A gives any contestant or his captain the right to appeal any ruling by the director at his table, subject only to possible sanction if the appeal is deemed to be without merit. If there is no committee, the Director shall hear the appeal (Law 93A).
--------------------

#40 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-28, 20:46

So the same director who made the ruling would hear the appeal? What would be the point of that?
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users