BBO Discussion Forums: Self alert - different requirements? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Self alert - different requirements?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2006-November-24, 01:17

Hi, here is a board from one of my own tournaments…the board finished normally 2ex-1 and east called me asking for an adjustment “opp didnt alert neg double and then i took wrong view playing trumps would have won otherwise” The ruling is largely irrelevant no damage, no adjustment.

What I did find interesting is that east was telling me that self alerting changes the requirements and like bids at the 4level, all doubles must be alerted.

I am aware of the 4level requirement but not of the double – can any of my more learned forum members shed any light on this?

Scoring: IMP

West North East South

Pass  Pass  Pass  1NT
 Dbl!  Pass  2    Pass
 Pass  Dbl   Pass  Pass
 Pass  

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-24, 02:39

It depends on your Conditions of Contest.

In the tourneys I run, all conventional calls should be alerted. Technically this includes Stayman, most doubles, transfers, etc.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-24, 03:59

It remains to be seen if NS had any special agreements about this double.

Default alert requirements on BBO (which should apply unless you specify anything else) are extremely simple, much simpler than IRL alert equirements:
- Alert everything unless you're sure that opps have the same information about the meaning of the call as partner has.

Personally, I go a little bit further. If I have no agrement about a call while I think that the opps might assume that I might have an agreement and just forgot to alert, I alert and give the explanation "No special agreement". In this particular case, I would alert the double and say "no agreement" with all of my BBO partners since I don't have agreements about this double with any of them.

This is not required, though. A non-alert can means either "the agreement is standard and natural" or "we have no special agremeent" and it's opps own responsibility to ask.

Result stands unless there is evidence that NS have a special agreement about this double, which is quite unlikely.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2006-November-24, 06:29

I think the meaning of this double should be pretty obvious to all. North can't have a stack, since he would have bid Stayman or transferred in the previous round. He also shouldn't have a good hand, since he would have bid something previously. So what else can it be but negative?

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2006-November-24, 08:51

Thanks, the actual hand and ruling is not in question here - I was hoping someone could tell me the 'official' (WBF/ACBL/EBU) regulations regarding self alerting when screens are in use.

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2006-November-24, 12:28

jillybean2, on Nov 25 2006, 03:51 AM, said:

Thanks, the actual hand and ruling is not in question here - I was hoping someone could tell me the 'official' (WBF/ACBL/EBU) regulations regarding self alerting when screens are in use.

From what I recall takeout doubles normally get alerted behind screens particularly in more convoluted auctions.

However I think a competent player who assumed penalty took a big position by not asking the meaning of the double.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   Mr. Dodgy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (duh), mathematics, Information Technology, fantasy fiction and role-playing games, flirting with girls, eight-ball pool and snooker, dancing, drinking, The Simpsons, House, Futurama, The X-Files...

Posted 2006-November-24, 16:17

WBF

The following classes of calls should be alerted:

1. Conventional bids should be alerted, non-conventional bids should not.
2. Those bids which have special meanings or which are based on or lead to special understandings between the partners. (A player may not make a call or play based on a special partnership understanding unless an opposing pair may reasonably be expected to understand its meaning, or unless his side discloses the use of such call or play in accordance with the regulations of the sponsoring organization). See Law 40(:D.
3. Non-forcing jump changes of suit responses to opening bids or overcalls, and nonforcing new suit responses by an unpassed hand to opening bids of one of a suit.

If screens are not in use, do NOT alert the following:

1. All doubles.
2. Any no-trump bid which suggests a balanced or semi-balanced hand, or suggests a no-trump contract.
3.Any call at the four level or higher, with the exception of conventional calls on the first round of the auction.

That's about it for the WBF's alerting procedure that I can see. The ABF Alerting Regulations go into more detail: these are based on the WBF Laws, and if I recall correctly, it states that ALL doubles are "self-alerting" and thus These calls carry their own alert and should not be alerted. It may be risky to make assumptions as to the meaning of such a call. You are entitled (at your turn to call) to ask for your own protection, but bear in mind that unnecessary questions may be more helpful to the opponents than to your own side, and may convey unauthorised information thereby limiting partner’s options.
http://www.abf.com.a...AlertRegs04.pdf

Whether screens are in use doesn't seem to make any difference to what is alertable, but I may be mistaken.

The The WBF Code of Laws for Electronic Bridge (2001) doesn't say much more the matter beyond this addendum to Law 80: Powers of the sponsoring organisation to establish special conditions include, but are not limited to, the provision of software enforcing correct procedure, the establishment of regulations governing the use of software facilities for alerts and disclosure, and other changes, not in conflict with these Laws, as may be necessary for the conduct of online bridge.

I don't know if either the WBF or ABF regs really address the online issue of self-alerting as it occurs on BBO. Looks like it is up to the SO to make these decisions.

I'd stick with 'self-alerting' Doubles and Redoubles as per the ABF above, for simplicity's sake. I think that it is frankly too difficult to draft anything comprehensive about when to alert or not alert such calls - unless you go with something really simple like "Alert and explain all doubles that are NOT penalty" (as penalty would be the 'natural' meaning of a double, right?).

Agree in this case that there is no damage and this must be negative although no agreement in this auction is reasonable for many pairs I'd guess.

Bear in mind i'm not terribly well learned.

#8 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-November-24, 16:29

Beaner,

I'm of the view that the appeallant is doubleshotting his poor result. There's absolutely zero alert needed for this bid in ACBL juridictions.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#9 User is offline   jikl 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-November-24, 18:02

I have a feeling that if it had been a penalty double by North and they had the s you would be getting the same complaint, just in reverse. "They didn't alert it was a penalty double! Everyone knows that is takeout!"

Sean

#10 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2006-November-24, 18:06

Although this will never happen, and I'll be in the minority here (a minority of one perhaps) I believe that either:

1) The system makes something in the white box mandatory for doubles; or

2) Even better, the system pops up a Takeout, Values, Penalty, Negative, Support, Other (please specify) type checkbox for anybody making a double.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#11 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-November-24, 18:40

officeglen, on Nov 25 2006, 03:06 AM, said:

Although this will never happen, and I'll be in the minority here (a minority of one perhaps) I believe that either:

2) Even better, the system pops up a Takeout, Values, Penalty, Negative, Support, Other (please specify) type checkbox for anybody making a double.

Amusing to see this thread at the same time folks are complaining about the FD app on another one...
Alderaan delenda est

#12 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2006-November-25, 02:36

The WBF Policy is quite clear that non-natural doubles should be alerted when screens are in use.

Although not stated officially, I believe that self-alerting on-line is essentially the same as playing with screens. The principal differences are that you self-alert to both opponents and do not alert your partner's calls (so, even better than screens).

Hence the conclusion is that you should self-alert non-natural doubles.

Local jurisdictions (ABCL, ABF) may have regulations that modify this. Personally I prefer the WBF approach.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2006-November-25, 02:47

hrothgar, on Nov 25 2006, 01:40 AM, said:

officeglen, on Nov 25 2006, 03:06 AM, said:

Amusing to see this thread at the same time folks are complaining about the FD app on another one...

When FD was first released I thought what a great product. Then I tried writing my system into it and rapidly blew cold. So I am waiting for the next generation, with an enhanced system design interface.

I am only posting this because one of my "complaints" at the time was that I could not see how to program into FD my algorithm for defining whether a double was takeout v penalty - of particular relevance to the OP on this thread. As far as I could tell, the only way to do this was to list all of the possible sequences in which a double might arise and individually define the double for each sequence. I suspect that I am wrong. I must be, if Hrothgar reckons that FD would provide the solution to the problem in the OP.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2006-November-25, 05:57

cardsharp, on Nov 25 2006, 09:36 AM, said:

The WBF Policy is quite clear that non-natural doubles should be alerted when screens are in use.

It's far from clear, since the WBF policy as quoted by MrDodgy above only defines alerting for bids, it doesn't say anything about passes, doubles and redoubles.

But anyway, what does "natural" actually mean for doubles? This is the problem.

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2006-November-27, 19:33

cardsharp, on Nov 25 2006, 03:36 AM, said:

Okay, I'm confused. My understanding is that some jurisdictions (the ABF being one of them) consider certain calls, or certain calls in certain situations to be "self-alerting" - meaning that the very existence of the call at its point in the auction should "alert" opponents that they may need to ask questions. Here, you seem to be using the term to mean a player alerting his own calls. Are we all on the same page as to the meaning of the term "self-alert"?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2006-November-27, 19:36

david_c, on Nov 25 2006, 06:57 AM, said:

A natural double is one that says "sorry, opps, but you aren't making that contract". A natural redouble says "oh, yes we are!" :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2006-November-27, 22:56

blackshoe, on Nov 27 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

Okay, I'm confused. My understanding is that some jurisdictions (the ABF being one of them) consider certain calls, or certain calls in certain situations to be "self-alerting" - meaning that the very existence of the call at its point in the auction should "alert" opponents that they may need to ask questions. Here, you seem to be using the term to mean a player alerting his own calls. Are we all on the same page as to the meaning of the term "self-alert"?

Hmm When I use 'self alert' I am meaning the process of alerting your own bid when playing online. I didnt know this term was used for bids that err, self alert. B)

#18 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2006-November-28, 02:29

blackshoe, on Nov 28 2006, 02:33 AM, said:

Like jb I use the term self-alert in the on-line sense.

I view the term "self alerting" for a call that is always alerted to be as useful as the term "semi forcing" B)

p
The Beer Card

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2006-November-28, 08:55

blackshoe, on Nov 27 2006, 06:36 PM, said:

david_c, on Nov 25 2006, 06:57 AM, said:

A natural double is one that says "sorry, opps, but you aren't making that contract". A natural redouble says "oh, yes we are!" :-)

Exactly - doubles are rarely alerted and if asked why not the usual response is "but thats natural there!"

The definition HomeBase use for alerting doubles is :

4. Any double below the three level that is not for TAKEOUT, and any double after your partner has bid notrump naturally that is not for PENALTY. (Example: if your partner opens 1NT and the next hand overcalls, if you make negative (takeout) or card showing rather than penalty double, you must alert the double.)

http://forums.homeba...hp?showtopic=85

Im not sure if this is the WBF definition or Bens endeavor to clarify the requirements. I understood (1NT) X is for penalty - does this change when the doubler is a passed hand?

#20 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-28, 09:22

jillybean2, on Nov 28 2006, 09:55 AM, said:

<snip>
Im not sure if this is the WBF definition or Bens endeavor to clarify the requirements. I understood (1NT) X is for penalty - does this change when the doubler is a passed hand?
<snip>

Assuming the partner to the passed hand,
passed as well, the dbl cant be penalty,
did he miscount?
If they play it, I would like to play for money
with them.
I promise, we wont use the redbl card.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

• 2 Pages +