BBO Discussion Forums: Resticted entries - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Resticted entries do they really use AND logic?

#1 User is offline   mitkohr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2006-March-27, 09:00

Hi,

I've the following question regarding the restricted entry into a tournament. On the web help it's written:

Effectively, for a member to be eligible to participate in your event, he must be in each and every Include list you have specified and not in any Exclude list.

However when creating a tourney with "friends/language/country/no enemies" filters we experienced some problems - some players, which supposingly comply to all criterias complain for not being allowed to enter, while in the same time a lot of people can enter although they comply only to "friends" or "languafe" but not "country" (which is OK for us).

In this respect I would appreciate if somebody may explain me if really a player must be in all include lists or it's enough to be only in some, i.e. friends, for example.

Thank you very much.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-March-27, 09:08

Remove the no enemies option and you should be ok. First off, since it is restricted to friends only, the no enemy option is redundant at best. Second, no enemies has some problems because of the use of multiple aliases by many people. I am not exactly sure of the algorithm, but sometimes when you mark person "B" as an enemy, several other users (let's call them "A", "C", and "D") will be excluded as well.

Usually this is a good thing. If you decide you don't want me playing in your tourney, you could mark "inquiry" as an enemy. Walla, I am excluded. But I could circumvent your restriction against me by simply creating a new ID and registering with that name... and then smuggly rub your noise in how clever I was. So I suspect the no enemy ban is designed to prevent me from doing just that. However, sometimes when you zap me with no enemies, you may also zap another player or two as a side effect.

I suspect you have a large enemy list if you are seeing such side effects, or some of your friends are also some of your enemies using a different alias.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   mitkohr 

• Pip

Posted 2006-March-27, 09:24

@inquiry

First of all thanks a lot for the fast answer!!!

I totally agree with you that the "No Enemies" is pointless in this setup, never thought too much of it, thanks for pointing this out. I also didn't know about the aliases, thank you.

I've only one question left, if you use "friends/country" for example is this going to allow
(a) all your friends AND everybody from your country, or
(b) only these of your friends, which are also from your country?
According to what's written on the web help should be (b) but my observations point more to (a) (which I would actually prefer :)

Thanks again for the assitance.

#4 User is offline   PeterE 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-March-27, 09:39

Hi mitkohr,

I assume a slightly different understanding problem as inquiry does (although he should know much better than me :) )

Your quoted part of the help-files is related to the feature, that you can edit some text-files on your computer that contain a list of BBO-names. And you can apply those list(s) additionally or instead of your profile-list of friends by chosing the respective file(s). Those "friends"-files are called 'Include'-lists.
A further text-file with "enemy"-BBO-names can be added and applied as 'Exclude'-list.
And, as you are able to chose more than one 'Include'-list and in addition to it an 'Exclude'-list, the statement you quoted shows the effect of chosing more than one list (file).

And it seems to me that the intersection (and not the union !!) of all chosen 'Include'-lists will apply to your tournament. From those eligible BBO-member those in the 'Exclude'-list are substracted.

#5 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-March-27, 09:40

There are two basic types of restrictions.

INCLUDE
EXCLUDE

When someone tries to enter a T that has a restriction, the logic looks something like this

Look at all the restrictions for the tourney

DENY If an include filter was used and user was not accepted by an include filter
DENY if an exclude filter was used and user was rejected by any exclude filter

Otherwise, ALLOW.

In other words, using only INCLUDES will allow in anyone who is passed by at least one of the include filters. INCLUDE FRIEND and INCLUDE LANGUAGE means include anyone who is either a friend or uses host LANGUAGE.

Using only excludes will exclude anyone who is on any of the lists. EXCLUDE enemies and EXCLUDE List will exclude anyone who is either an enemy or on the list.

Combining will make it behave as described above..

#6 User is offline   mitkohr 

• Pip

Posted 2006-March-27, 09:45

Thanks a lot to all of you,

For me it's clearer now, thank you.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users