BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#401 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-31, 23:32

Defending a NT contract, we need two more tricks to beat it. I have QTx A -- Qxx, and I'm sure declarer on my right has AKJ A in the blacks, but I'm not sure which way. As I'm thrown in with the A, partner has the first chance by either of us to make a discard: the 2. Obviously there's no future there, so I play a spade. Declarer claims with AKJ A and high diamonds. Partner had the KJxx.

Partner asked why I never led a club. I said, "You discouraged in clubs." Partner said, "No I didn't, dummy's hearts were set up and we were out of diamonds, so the only suits left were spades and clubs, so I played a small club to ask for the lower-ranking suit."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#402 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-03, 16:55

this was just a funny board tonight, to be honest west and south deserve each other but it went

when I asked partner why he doubled 3s rather than just bid 4h straight away or even pass

"I know we're beating 3s, you've bid twice and I've got two aces".
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#403 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 06:22

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 23:08, said:

Personally, I don't like this device. . . . [T]he negative double . . . must rank as one of the worst coventions ever devised :(

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#404 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 08:52

"Personally, I don't like this device. . . . [T]he negative double . . . must rank as one of the worst coventions ever devised :("

A friend of mine was set up for a game in Montreal with a guy that he was told was a real player returning to the game after a couple of decades off.

Filling out the card he said "Negative Doubles?" and instead of saying how high the guy said "No". So he put down his pen and asked the guy about his previous playing life.

The Guy: I started with a really good partner but he moved to San Francisco (Peter Pender). Wouldn't you know it, my next partner moved to Toronto after a few years and I retired from Bridge (Sami Kehela).

Him: Negative doubles are overrated.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#405 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 09:52

it goes pass (1s) 1n ap

my partner rocks up with like AQJxx spades in a balanced 16 count: "i was going to double but i was afraid you might think it was take out"
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#406 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2015-June-06, 13:00

deleted by me as not "post hand chit-chat"
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#407 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 00:34

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-May-21, 17:33, said:

Bridge is not a game of "always get to the best making contract". It's a game of possibilities and probabilities.

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-22, 07:28, said:

Sorry,but I have to disagree I assume you have played MP Pairs(?)
Missing a slam when it's biddable is a disaster. ...........<snipped boring bs> The winners of MP tournaments are those who have achieved the best score possible on every board....

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#408 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-08, 00:36

This is funnier with the full context though. When he posted the hand I wondered whether it was total points or some such, or else why would it matter that 3NT fails.

#409 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 10:20

We are North/South

dummy comes down and East asks his partner why he passed 1S

"well my spades are good but I don't have much else"

#410 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 13:19

from the club last night

my partner opens 1c i announce "short club"

LHO: "are you playing 5 card majors?"

#411 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 13:45

View Posteagles123, on 2015-June-18, 13:19, said:

from the club last night

It may not be common, but it's certainly not unknown to play a short club with four-card majors.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#412 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 14:03

View Posteagles123, on 2015-June-18, 13:19, said:

from the club last night

Aren't you supposed to announce the minimum length ?

And you could be playing 5 card spade but not heart or 4 card majors and still open a short club, but since you don't have to announce a 3 card club, the announcement implies min 2 hence 5M unless playing something odd involving an unbalanced diamond meaning you open a club with a 3352.

#413 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 14:23

View Postgordontd, on 2015-June-18, 13:45, said:

It may not be common, but it's certainly not unknown to play a short club with four-card majors.

Yeah, in the Scanian system, for example, a 4M432 is opened 1 with 17-19 points but 1M with 11-13 points.

But I don't think that is the reason why they are asking. They ask because they don't know what "could be two" means, whereas they know what "5-card majors" means.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#414 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2015-June-18, 14:47

I am playing against not very seasoned pair in a small F2F club. LHO is complete novice, RHO is novice with more than 10 years of experience. After bidding all over the places they stopped in 5 from LHO side.
I hold AKQ but did not bother to double (it clear will be the top anyway and I did not want to add an insult).

Declarer took couple of aces; made couple of ruffs with long trumps; then gave me trick. I took it, collect all trumps and we took our suits for down a lot.

"Partner," said RHO very sermonize kind of voice. "As a declarer you should learn to collect your trumps first and do not let defenders to collect their trumps. You see what could happened otherwise."

#415 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 15:51

Maybe not clueless/hopeless, but tonight I heard what was probably the most resulting comment I had ever heard.

I had Kx xxxx JT8x AJx at none vul. Partner opens 2C showing a weak 2 in a major(6-10) or 23+ points, I bid 2D mandatory relay. Partner bids 2S to show the weak 2 in spades and this is doubled by my RHO. LHO doesn't seem sure what's going on so I make what I thought was a cheeky 3S bid. This is passed out. Partner has the dream maximum (AQxxxx x A9x xxx) and when he got the K lead and spades broke, he ended up making 10 tricks. The resulting comment? Partner: "Why didn't you bid 2N Ogust? We might have bid 4S then."
Wayne Somerville

#416 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-18, 21:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-June-18, 14:03, said:

Aren't you supposed to announce the minimum length ?

Not here. If it fewer than three, the announcement is "may be short". That said, some people do says "could be as short as two" or whatever.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#417 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-19, 02:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-18, 21:37, said:

Not here. If it fewer than three, the announcement is "may be short". That said, some people do says "could be as short as two" or whatever.

Yeah but Eagles is in EBU land so the correct anouncement is "could be 2" or "could be 1" or "could be 0".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#418 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-19, 06:00

View Postolegru, on 2015-June-18, 14:47, said:

RHO is novice with more than 10 years of experience.

My new favourite phrase found on BBF.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#419 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-19, 08:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-18, 21:37, said:

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-June-19, 02:50, said:

Yeah but Eagles is in EBU land so the correct anouncement is "could be 2" or "could be 1" or "could be 0".

Yeah, I missed that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#420 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-19, 10:19

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-June-18, 15:51, said:

The resulting comment? Partner: "Why didn't you bid 2N Ogust? We might have bid 4S then."

'Because I had the false impression that you held a weak 2'?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users