• You cannot reply to this topic

Bad bidding and play Mea Culpa

#1 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-September-01, 09:54

1st round Scottish Cup match. After a stupid 5 bid, You, South, end up as declarer in 6. Q lead. Click next to see the early play.

What now. On lead, as South, in this 7 card ending?

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-September-01, 11:28

good problem, Nige1.all depend if you can trust card led Q. at green/red with partner passed, I take lead as genuine, especially as west has shown up with K also

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-September-01, 13:25

Spade and ruff with the 6. I am going to play west for 7042 and both minor kings.

PS: My first thought was west 8032. No change in plan, though.

This post has been edited by Winstonm: 2021-September-01, 14:22

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2021-September-01, 14:09

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-September-01, 11:28, said:

good problem, Nige1.all depend if you can trust card led Q. at green/red with partner passed, I take lead as genuine, especially as west has shown up with K also
Excellent question. If you ask opponents, they will tell you that they lead the second higher honour. i.e West has shown K

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-September-01, 14:15

View Postnige1, on 2021-September-01, 09:54, said:

1st round Scottish Cup match. After a stupid 5 bid, You, South, end up as declarer in 6. Q lead. Click next to see the early play.

What now. On lead, as South, in this 7 card ending?

I may well have missed something but I don’t think I can make this hand if east has the diamond king. In addition, it seems that west is 7=0=4=2. QJ10xxxx void Kxxx Kx is a reasonable 4S at the prevailing vulnerability.

So I hook the diamond, ruff a club, ruff a spade, cash the diamond Ace, lead a club, which is good

East is down to void Jx x void

I have void Q x x in dummy and x K x void in hand, having won 10 tricks and lost none (1S 1S ruff, AQ diamonds, AQ clubs and two club ruffs, along with 2 rounds of trump.

East has to ruff, else i pitch my diamond and make 13 tricks on a high crossruff

I overruff and ruff my last spade with dummy’s Queen of hearts. They both win the last trick.

I admit to being worried about trick one. Why didn’t east play his King from a presumed Kx! If for no other reason than to make me worried that he’d be overruffing dummy immediately?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2021-September-01, 14:57

View Postmikeh, on 2021-September-01, 14:15, said:

I may well have missed something but I don't think I can make this hand if east has the diamond king. In addition, it seems that west is 7=0=4=2. QJ10xxxx void Kxxx Kx is a reasonable 4S at the prevailing vulnerability.So I hook the diamond, ruff a club, ruff a spade, cash the diamond Ace, lead a club, which is goodEast is down to void Jx x voidI have void Q x x in dummy and x K x void in hand, having won 10 tricks and lost none (1S 1S ruff, AQ diamonds, AQ clubs and two club ruffs, along with 2 rounds of trump.East has to ruff, else i pitch my diamond and make 13 tricks on a high crossruff I overruff and ruff my last spade with dummy's Queen of hearts. They both win the last trick.I admit to being worried about trick one. Why didn't east play his King from a presumed Kx! If for no other reason than to make me worried that he'd be overruffing dummy immediately?
Please assume that opener's suit is headed by KQ

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-September-01, 15:05

View Postnige1, on 2021-September-01, 14:57, said:

Please assume that opener's suit is headed by KQ

I would have hoped you’d have told us if they play rusinow leads. Of course they are allowed to psyche a lead, but this is hardly the situation where that makes sense
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2021-September-01, 15:27

I think I still need rho to hold 2 spades and Lho to hold the diamond king. I play much as I outlined before I leadned that the Queen of spades showed the King

Hook the diamond, ruff the club, ruff a spade low and lead the good club, forcing Rho to ruff. I overruff with my last trump, cross in diamonds, cash the heart Queen for my 12 th trick.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-September-01, 15:54

View Postmikeh, on 2021-September-01, 15:27, said:

I think I still need rho to hold 2 spades and Lho to hold the diamond king. I play much as I outlined before I leadned that the Queen of spades showed the King

Hook the diamond, ruff the club, ruff a spade low and lead the good club, forcing Rho to ruff. I overruff with my last trump, cross in diamonds, cash the heart Queen for my 12 th trick.

Have I missed something ? diamond to the Q, club ruff, cash K, cross to A, cash Q and the winning club and they get a diamond at the end, this works if W is 8032 with K.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2021-September-01, 16:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-September-01, 15:54, said:

Have I missed something ? diamond to the Q, club ruff, cash K, cross to A, cash Q and the winning club and they get a diamond at the end, this works if W is 8032 with K.

No, you didn’t miss anything. Serves me right for multi-tasking. I got fixated on my playing east for Kx spades and didn’t mentally press reset when I learned that west showed the KQ.

Oh well, that’s why focus is important

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-September-01, 18:51

After a lot of soul searching, I'm now thinking that the play is the J of diamonds and let it run. If it loses, east can't return his last club else I ruff play my high trump, cross to dummy, draw trump and claim. If he returns a diamond, I can ruff out the club, play a high trump, cross, cross back in diamonds, draw trump and claim. So the best return is a trump. With a trump return, I win in hand cheaply, cross in diamonds, ruff out the club, cross in diamonds, draw trumps and claim.

What if RHO ducks the diamond? Then ruff a spade high lead a club and pitch a spade. East has no good answer.

But I could be wrong and my head hurts.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2021-September-02, 01:54

What now? South, on lead.
In this 7 card ending, I failed by leading a to Q.
WinstonM cracked it.
Declarer can lead J and claim provided West has 7 or 8 s.
Winstonm's line is sure-trick.
If East wins K and returns a , then declarer, wins Q, ruffs a , cashes K, crosses to A, and draws trump.
If East ducks his K, declarer can ruff a in dummy.
I learnt about defenders' leads at the end of play but could have protected myself by asking, at the beginning.

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-September-02, 07:00

The difficulty for me was trying to figure out my problem - which turns out to be a shortage of entries to the north hand. It then became a little easier but not much - I would have failed at the table.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users