BBO Discussion Forums: Hand 3 - 1981 Bermuda Bowl - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hand 3 - 1981 Bermuda Bowl What is your bid?

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-July-08, 12:34

As usual, the imposed system is a basic 2/1 with 100% forcing NT. You are playing imps in the Bermuda Bowl. What is your bid? (If it matters to you, North is Zia Mahmood.)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-08, 14:17

Partner probably would have raised spades with 3 (or maybe intends to on the next round with 3=1=5=4?), so 2.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-July-08, 14:24

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-July-08, 12:34, said:

As usual, the imposed system is a basic 2/1 with 100% forcing NT. You are playing imps in the Bermuda Bowl. What is your bid? (If it matters to you, North is Zia Mahmood.)

I’d bid 2D.

Partner won’t usually have 3 spades unless he has extras since he’d raise 1S to 2S with most 3=1=5=4 hands, tho he could be 3=0=5=5, but that’s improbable because such hands are rare and, also, the opps aren’t bidding.

If he has 4=5 in the minors, I’m probably not going to enjoy the result, but my hand is good enough that it needn’t be horrible.

Meanwhile, and the reason I’m bidding, is that he could have up to 18 hcp.

x AQx AKxxx Axxx isn’t close to a jumpshift and I’d want to be in game at imps, especially if he has some decent spots.

Also, Qxx x AKxxx AQxx is 2C rather than 2S and over 2D he has any easy, descriptive 2S call, which I’ll raise to game.

Passing with a 9 count seems pusillanimous to me. The spades are not even close to rebiddable. So the only other call that has even slight appeal is 3C, but that overstates the clubs.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-08, 15:01

the only reason why I do not bid 2 - my bid - is if partner has 1444 shape and prefer to bid 1 - 1 - 2 to 1 - 1 - 1NT. other than that I see no reason not to bid 2 as other posters have said

#5 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-July-08, 17:45

Partner is 5(4)-4 either way in the minors with a limited hand (open and reverse if stronger) so I pass with a hand not good enough for the 3-level and I then find out that combined we have enough for 3NT

#6 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-08, 17:56

View Postmw64ahw, on 2021-July-08, 17:45, said:

Partner is 5(4)-4 either way in the minors with a limited hand (open and reverse if stronger) so I pass with a hand not good enough for the 3-level

If you're suggesting partner should open 1 and reverse into 2 with 4 clubs and 5 diamonds.. that's horrible. As mikeh mentioned above, partner could have up to around an 18 count with this shape, so I see no reason not to give the standard false preference into diamonds.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-July-08, 21:30

Here is how Justin responded:

Justin Lall: 2D. Automatic. I won't pass when partner can have up to a bad 18, and I won't bid 3C with only three clubs and 9 points. This gives partner a chance to act again with extras, or stay low with a minimum.

Rodwell and Meckstroth reached 3NT with these cards while Zia's partner passed 2C.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-July-08, 22:25

View Postsmerriman, on 2021-July-08, 17:56, said:

If you're suggesting partner should open 1 and reverse into 2 with 4 clubs and 5 diamonds.. that's horrible. As mikeh mentioned above, partner could have up to around an 18 count with this shape, so I see no reason not to give the standard false preference into diamonds.

No that's not what I'm suggesting for a hand up to 18 points and I think it's far from standard to give a false preference. My comment reflects Zia's partners choice knowing that a 3NT contract is not out of the question as occurred at the other table.

With the actual hand 55 in the minors and 19ish total points this hand in the old style I originally learnt would have been suitable for a reverse. Not what I play now, but my current approach would end up in 3NT/5

#9 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-July-09, 03:29

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-July-08, 12:34, said:

What is your bid?

2. The only systemic call, like opening 1 with

AKxxx
x
AQxx
Kxx.

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-09, 03:37

Yup, a quack more and this would be the poster child for non GF 4SF but it's not quite good enough, so 1-1-2-2-3- and now S is not stopping below game. 3N is very lucky you want to play 5, not sure which one I get to.

#11 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-16, 09:13

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-July-08, 21:30, said:

Rodwell and Meckstroth reached 3NT with these cards while Zia's partner passed 2C. [/size]

This pass feels like someone with a total misunderstanding of basic bidding principles. If it were not the BB I would assume it was a beginner. I suspect there is more to this board than we have been presented with here. The Nickell team is well-known for hardball tactics and Zia+partner (Rosenberg?) were renowned for stepping outside of system based on small psychological cues so perhaps some subtle but false AI was provided to prompt the pass of 2.

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-July-16, 09:22

Winstonm 'As usual, the imposed system is a basic 2/1 with 100% forcing NT. You are playing imps in the Bermuda Bowl. What is your bid? (If it matters to you, North is Zia Mahmood.)'
+++++++++++++++++++
I rank
1. 2 = NAT "False" preference (Faute de mieux).
2. 2 = NAT. Space consuming, exaggerates your .

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-July-16, 14:38

View PostGilithin, on 2021-July-16, 09:13, said:

This pass feels like someone with a total misunderstanding of basic bidding principles. If it were not the BB I would assume it was a beginner. I suspect there is more to this board than we have been presented with here. The Nickell team is well-known for hardball tactics and Zia+partner (Rosenberg?) were renowned for stepping outside of system based on small psychological cues so perhaps some subtle but false AI was provided to prompt the pass of 2.

Zia was playing with Masood at the time. Masood passed 2C. No other information was given.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users